Aeris is hiring tenacious, creative, and technically minded individuals with a passion and skill for interpreting and distilling large datasets into actionable intelligence and communicating those results to stakeholders. Aeris is an energetic, fast-paced software engineering and scientific technical services company that supports the U.S. Government. Aeris aspires to be an integral partner to our clients, enabling them to make a difference by making the world safer and more secure.
Our ideal candidate is a Data Scientist with a love for creative analytics, algorithm development and a diversified work portfolio. At Aeris, we believe in a culture of innovation, fun, and empowerment, within an environment that allows our team members to maintain a healthy work-life balance. We offer cutting edge technical services centered around high-resolution modeling of microscale atmospheric dynamics and are proud to contribute to the national security sector by providing world class analytics and software tools that address a wide array of missions.
As a Data Scientist at Aeris, your responsibilities may include:
- Developing data reduction pipelines to process large atmospheric data sets (>1TB)
- Designing data preprocessing routines to retrieve input datasets from public APIs, extract necessary information and write out to proprietary formats
- Interfacing with DoD High Performance Computing (HPC) resources to design and submit distributed computations
- Working with geospatial datasets to project across coordinate systems, interpolate, down-sample and perform geostatistical analysis
- Working closely with software engineers to integrate your code into our enterprise software products
- Developing professional graphical output to preset your analysis and share with clients
- Developing or supporting AI/ML data reduction pipelines for atmospheric data (SOMs, auto encoders or physics-based ML)
We understand that candidates may not be able to check the boxes for all desired qualifications. What is most important is that candidates have exceptional problem-solving skills, creative out-of-the-box thinking, and are comfortable in an environment where you will be quickly learning, evaluating, and deploying new technologies.
Required Skills & Experience:
- BS in Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or comparable field.
- Advanced proficiency in a “scientific” programming language such as Python or R
- Familiarity with large dataset subsetting and manipulation
- Experience producing high quality graphics and presenting to stakeholders
- Experience working on a LINUX system and a robust comfort level with a command line interface
- Eligibility (U.S. Citizenship) and willingness to undergo a background investigation to obtain a United States Department of Defense Security Clearance.
- Willingness to relocate to the greater Boulder, CO area
Desired Skills & Experience:
- M.S. in Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or comparable field
- Experience with geospatial dataset manipulation
- Experience working with NetCDF and the NCEP GRIB2 formats
- Experiencing working with and/or developing numerical models
- A cursory understanding of atmospheric science or fluid dynamics
- Experience working with API interfaces
- A basic understanding of C++
- Experience with Agile development
- Experience working with the Atlassian suite of tools (Bitbucket, Jira & Bamboo)
- Health and dental medical insurance coverage for employee, spouse and dependents (Premiums 100% covered by Aeris).
- Simple IRA company match
- Personal Time Off and U.S. Holidays
- Annual performance bonuses
- Health and wellness program
- Continuing education benefits
- Phantom equity eligibility
Qualified applicants are asked to apply via Indeed